Advertisement

17 December 2016

Blogmas Day 17 | 2016 In Review

What a year 2016 has been. Trump, Brexit and the end of Bake Off. But ironically, it's been the best year for my career so far, with my blog getting more and more views each day including the chance to appear on both TV and radio. The time has come for my round-up of 2016 and what has happened in my life personally, blog-wise and within the worlds of uni and career aspects.


Blog

This year I've put more of an effort into writing more and have delivered at least one post a week. It's definitely helped me to stick to more of a schedule and get my own deadlines in order. That said, it certainly doesn't take any type of priority over university work at all. This year I also became a blogger for The Huffington Post and have had amazing opportunities because of this (mentioned below).

I've also been invited to some great events and conferences this year, with companies such as Taco Bell, Aloft Hotels and lots more - opening my networking circle and introducing me to new people from lots of different industries. I hope 2017 brings lots of new opportunities for my writing.

University

2016 has been a great year for me in terms of my Music Journalism course at uni, as I came out of second year with a 2:1 and I'm (hopefully) on track for a 2:1 in my degree. Third year has been really tough so far, especially with lots of extra-curricular things to do and events as mentioned above. But I'm still working really hard and strive to complete my assignments to their best.

Personal

Personally, I've had a great year in 2016 as I have become a lot more social and outgoing, but still am a little bit shy, but isn't everyone? I've been happy for most of this year as my career has really taken off and I'm now more sure of myself and what I want to do than ever. I'm sure 2017 will continue much the same.

Career

2016 has been one hell of a year for my career aspirations. I think I had the best year ever. As well as writing for The Huffington Post and because of this, I was invited to be a guest on ITV's The Agenda (a post about my entire experience is HERE) as well as onto Canadian radio station CBC's 'Day 6' podcast to discuss Trump vs Brexit. Sadly my podcast interview wasn't able to be used, but you win some and lose some.

Throughout 2016 I was constantly being asked what I wanted to do after uni and always said "I don't know", but now I do know. I started volunteering for Southampton community radio station Voice FM and managing their social media and writing about their Voice Fresh playlist every week. Whilst there I was delighted to find that I have a passion for social media management, and is what I want to do for the rest of my life 🙌

There's been so many highlights of 2016 and I really hope 2017 brings me more happiness and opportunities (as well as a job after my degree 😉). I'm sure if you look into 2016 you'll find something positive among all the negativity in the news these days.

Happy Listening!

A K Jones
xx

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I really appreciate it. xx

© Hooked On The Music | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig