Advertisement

8 June 2013

GREEN DAY CONCERT 1ST JUNE 2013 REVIEW

Hello Music Lovers,

Here's my review of the Green Day concert I went to in London last week:
When I walked up to the Emirates Stadium in London, I never knew what to expect with this concert. I knew every concert everyone else I'd spoke to had attended was amazing. I'd waited forever to see Green Day, 9 and a half years in fact. With my ticket in hand (pictured below), I made my way to turnstile J and waves of excitement convulsed through me as I handed my ticket to the kind lady who scanned it for me. I was in. We (my sister and I) had arrived just as All Time Low (one of the support acts) was starting their performance.

All Time Low were good, but to be honest (don't hate me for this) I'd never really heard any of their music. I know they played The Reckless And The Brave, Backseat Serenade and Somewhere In Neverland, which sounded quite good and everyone was singing along, so I might have to check them out. Check out the pictures of All Time Low below:






Once All Time Low had finished their set, there was a short break, in which I went to get a drink and saw a sea of people with green hair and Green Day's signature red grenade on their shirts. Anyway, after that it was time for the second support act of the night, the Kaiser Chiefs, who had a few smash hits, such as "Ruby" and "I Predict A Riot", which were in their setlist and the crowd knew and sung every word. They also played some new music, a song called "Bow & Arrow" is the only one I could think of off the top of my head. Then it was time for the old stuff; the hits. It was a heart-warming moment for me, watching 60,000 people sing along to every word, so I can't imagine their reaction. During all of this, moshpits were opening and closing everywhere and their was some quite dangerous behaviour, with beer bottles (glass may I add) were being thrown about everywhere. I don't know whether this was related to that incident or not, but apparently between Kaiser Chiefs and Green Day, someone had to be carried off on a stretcher. I felt sorry for them because they would get to miss the whole concert, what a shame. See pictures of Kaiser Chiefs performing below:




After Kaiser Chiefs had played, it was time for Green Day. Or was it? It's apparently a tradition with Green Day concerts to play Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. So I got a pleasant shock when it started blaring out of the speakers and I saw EVERYONE, and I mean everyone singing along. This was my favourite moment of the concert in terms of the crowd, because we were just all united in singing this one song. It also made me realise how we were all there for the same reason, to see the same people who inspired us and made us who we are today. Okay, this is getting way too deep, I need to get back to the review! 

So after the blissful melodies of Queen, the main act took the stage. GREEN DAY. The people I'd been waiting years to see are finally standing in front of me. I honestly couldn't believe it. They started their set straight away with "99 Revolutions", which was performed just as I thought it would be, but with Billie-Joe's signature "HEEEYY-HOOO!" added in to get the audience involved. He then shouted to the audience "DO YOU KNOW YOUR FUCKING ENEMY?!" to which point every crowd member (including me) went absolutely CRAZY knowing that Know Your Enemy was being played. During this song, Billie-Joe almost always brings up a fan to sing a bit of the song and stage dive. This time, it was a guy in a blue Morph suit with a British flag attached to the suit, which Billie-Joe took hold of and held up. Also, the guy had a note saying "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH", which also had a name on it, so it could be directed towards them or the band, either way it's so sweet. The guy performed an amazing stage dive and was caught by the crowd (luckily). 







Other songs in the setlist included "Stay The Night", "Letterbomb", obviously the classics "American Idiot" and "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams", which the crowd sang most of, as we knew every single word. There were some oldies in there too, including "Minority", "Waiting" and "Knowledge". Even some rare songs were played, which I didn't know, but they were "Nice Guys Finish Last" and "Sassafras Roots". "King For A Day" was also played, with the boys dressing up in silly costumes and Tre in a bright pink bra. There were also a lot of audience antics as well as stage dives, such as Billie-Joe shooting a toilet paper gun into the crowd and a t-shirt cannon, shooting them all over the stadium, one even landing on the tent where the toilets are kept, to which everyone jeered, and security threw it back into the crowd. 

During "King For A Day", the boys played a medley of "Shout" by Lulu, The Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and The Undertones' "Teenage Kicks", which can be viewed here

Overall, the concert was well worth the wait and I loved every minute of it. They are currently touring around Europe and their dates can be viewed here - I highly recommend it!

A K Jones
xx

DISCLAIMER: I do own any of the copyright for the content of this post


No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I really appreciate it. xx

© Hooked On The Music | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig